Wednesday 23 March 2016

Mugen Ramen & Bar - CBD

During my placement break, Stoph and I ventured to Mugen Ramen & Bar. I've always wanted to come here after watching various ramen in Japan vids on Youtube. They had tsukemen here which I was super keen to try.

Super cute menus that served as place mats as well

My Wafu Tsukemen
I ordered the Wafu Tsukemen which had a dashi and soy sauce broth, house made thick noodles served with Slow Cooked Pork (Chashu), Bamboo Shoots and Seaweed ($13) with an extra egg ($2). The noodles were cold which I wasn't used to (duh it's tsukemen lel). The broth got cold pretty quickly :( The  broth was pretty damn salty if you sipped it so I thought that sucked since I am definitely a broth person. It was nicely thick so it could coat the noodles when you dipped them. The toppings were standard and nothing to sing about. I finished my meal slightly disappointed that I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. Guess nothing beats a bowl of steaming hot ramen. As I finished the last of my noodles, the waitress came by and gave me a little pot of fish broth to pour into the dashi and soy sauce broth so I could sip it. What an unexpected bonus and it really topped the meal off for me!

Yay fish broth to make it sippable!

Stoph's Katsu Curry
Stoph got the Katsu Curry which is the Japanese curry & rice with pork cutlets served with a fresh green salad ($13). You can honestly never go wrong with Katsu Curry and this one was yummy. Only minor complaint was that the curry was slightly runny.


Lunch for 2!

Option for overlooking the kitchen

Overall, we had a good time at Mugen Ramen and Bar. We sat at the basement bar, which had a cosier feel as it was darkly lit and had a Japanese film projected on the wall. Upstairs there were small stools where you could watch the kitchen at work while you ate. Service was lovely. The food was pretty good and I now know that tsukemen tastes nice but probably not a staple for me to always return to. They have a Mugen Lunch Specials which IDM trying if I'm ever back in the area.


Taste: 8/10
Presentation: 8/10
Service: 9/10
Value for Money: 8/10


 Mugen Ramen & Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato




No comments:

Post a Comment