Sunday 4 March 2018

Atlas Dining - South Yarra

At the end of January, we went to Charlie Carrington’s Atlas Dining in South Melbourne. The menu changes every 4 months and this was the first week of the Peru menu. Never having tried Peruvian food before, I was pretty excited to see how the dishes would play out. We opted for the 2 extra Nikkei courses ($25) on top of the standard 5 courses.





Smoked Bonito Ceviche


The first dish was smoked bonito ceviche. It was swimming in a pool of passionfruit. It was a bit too acidic for my liking but the bonito was super soft. I would have preferred more crunchy elements as it was pretty sparse. It was not the strongest start.

Grilled fig, eel


Next was the first Nikkei course. This had Japanese influence, which is what enticed me. It was grilled fig, eel, tempura parsley and lime segments. This was hands down the best course of the night. The flavours were truly a umami bomb and I kept coming back for more. The textures were all spot on and contrasted well and that sauce was a killer. I still think about it. YUMMM!

Rainbow trout, fermented rock melon and ponzu dressing


The second Nikkei course was the rainbow trout, fermented rock melon and ponzu dressing. In my opinion, the rock melon overpowered the trout. I am not a fan of fruit in my meals as it makes the dish quite sweet. It did help that the little pops of salmon roe brought it back to a more savoury finish.

Potato, ocopa and aji


Our next course was the potato, ocopa and aji. This was described as a representation of a popular Peruvian street food, like a fried potato cake. I loved the flavours of this dish. It was cheesy but tasted really earthy. The ocopa and aji sauce was absolutely delicious as it had the right amount of spice, that just danced on your tongue. Such a good dish!

Duck, beans and eggplant


Up next was the duck, beans and eggplant. The duck breast sat on top of a smoked eggplant puree and accompanied by puffed vermicelli and charred green beans. This dish was more reminiscent of Asian flavours but still tasted nice. I liked the crunch of the beans and smoky eggplant when paired together.
Lamb, arroz and uchucuta


Our last savoury dish of the night was lamb, arroz and uchucuta. This had an Italian influence as arroz is the Spanish word for rice and it was a Peruvian risotto cooked with parmesan. It was topped with lamb jerky, uchucuta (Peruvian salsa) and anchovy powder.  This was so deliciously cheesy and I was in cheese heaven. The jerky was a bit much to chew on so I gave most of it to Kevin, who happily ate it all. It was a touch salty but I did not mind. Fantastic dish!


Surprise! We were given an empanada each to replace the bread and butter course. It was filled with minced lamb and spices and we were dip it in a spice green sauce. TBH the empanada was a touch bland.

Chocolate, quinoa, pisco and lime


Dessert time! This consisted of chocolate, quinoa, pisco and lime. Kevin could not stop raving about this dish. The lime ice cream was tangy and contrasted well with the bitter quinoa. It was a very balanced dish. The candied lime was a nice touch as well.




Overall, we had a great time at Atlas Dining. The waitstaff were very friendly and explained the dishes well. I had a great view of the kitchen and got to have a peek of how the dishes are assembled for service. The food was great and I am glad I ordered the 2 extra Nikkei courses because the fig and eel dish was to die for. Not all the dishes blew me away but I didn’t leave disappointed. For only $100 per person, it is actually quite affordable fine dining. Kevin, being a carnivorous eater preferred more meat portions but the dessert won him over. It was interesting trying the Peruvian menu but I am quite sad I missed out on the Mexican menu that only ended a couple weeks ago! 



Taste: 7.5/10
Presentation: 8/10
Value for Money - 8/10
Service: 8/10



Atlas Dining Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


1 comment:

  1. People are the source of love and this means that you have the capacity to feed your soul and somebody else's soul with love.

    Write For Us - Food

    ReplyDelete