Tuesday 10 May 2016

Sezar - CBD


For Q's 20th birthday, we all went to Sezar for the $69 banquet menu. Happy Birthday to my sister! The lighting was so dim creyz and I didn't think to take photos with flash until halfway creyz. Under each photo, I've included what it would have costed if the dish was ordered a la carte.


BDAY Girl
 

DRANKS
 As deso driver, I got the Summer in Armenia ($15) which had pomegranate, seasonal fruit, lemonade and dry. It was a yummy mocktail. A lot of the girls who didn't drive also opted for this drink as well. I also tried the Apricot Fizz ($10) which had apricot, almond and soda and while it wasn't refreshing it had a very pleasant almond taste. 

Small Plate:  
OYSTERS / compressed apple & anise (2) ($9)
We had an oyster with compressed apple and anise each and it was such a refreshing way to start the meal.

Bzdig
BASTOURMA & EGG / armenian air dried beef,
quail egg, toasted brioche & garlic jam (2) ($10) 
This was divine. So crispy and moreish with the burst of the egg yolk YOM!

Bzdig
SPINACH & FETA BOREG / aleppo mayo (3) ($12)

The waitress actually dropped one boreg before it hit the table ahluls but all good.When I tasted it a few minutes later, I liked how flaky it was and how it married super well with the aleppo mayo. What the hell is aleppo anyways? Who cares cos aleppo is gooooood.

Michag
GRAIN SALAD / toasted seeds & nuts, sour cherries,
shoots, sprouts & hung yoghurt ($15)

Thank the lord the coriander wasn't chopped up in a thousand tiny pieces and I could give it away. The salad was healthy tasting and went very well with the yoghurt.

Michag
CURED OCEAN TROUT / apple & fennel salad,
crème fraiche & roe ($17)

This was certainly a very dainty looking dish. The trout was super soft and obv pairs well with apple and fennel. TBH not a fan of roe. It just tastes like seawater. 

Michag
TBH CAN'T REMEMBER - LAMB SOMETHING
This one was easy to share and the sauce oh so good. It was a tad dry tho and would've been better if there was more sauce to coat it. I liked the tangy pickled stuff.

Michag
SPANNER CRAB MANTI / armenian dumplings,
yoghurt soup & paprika butter (4) ($16)
My fav savoury dish of the night. It was a delight to eat and so yummy with the perfect blend of freshness, tanginess and spice. The sauce was sooo good, I even dipped my lamb in it EHEH.

WHATTA HUNK (OF LAMB SHOULD DAT IS)

Chupz

Medz
SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER / sides & sauces ($70)
Ooft this was the large plate and it looked crazy appetizing. The lamb shoulder was huge with a side of thrice cooked chips, cabbage salad, cherry sauce and yogurt. Between 4 girls, we managed to finish most of it so it was a solid effort. While the lamb fell off the bone and was cooked beautifully, it was sadly lacking in flavour and depth. There wasn't enough sauce to slather the bland-ish lamb. I guess I expected so much more and hoping it would blow my mind.

Anoush
CHOCOLATE MARQUISE / spiced hazelnuts,
cardamom whipped cream & argan oil 
Anoush
PISTACHIO CAKE / figs, halva, orange blossom
& pashmak
Anoush
HONEY CREAM / saffron poached pear & sweet brik pastry
Anoush
TBH DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME

Dessert Tasting Board ($40)
I didn't manage to take a photo of the New Style Baklava because we literally gobbled it up. This was the best dessert on the platter. It had delectable walnut toffee ice cream wedged in between two pieces of crispy filo drizzled with salted caramel. I've tried baklavas before and found them dreadfully sweet so I loved how balanced this was. TBH the other desserts were pretty meh. The pistachio cake was dry and I'm not a fan of spices in my dessert. I was just picking at them because at this point I was really full and none of them left an impression.



Overall, Sezar was a great eye-opening experience to Armenian cuisine. Guess the only slight let downs were the lamb and desserts but I'm willing to overlook that because I left feeling full and satisfied. The service was just really lovely. Due to the horrendous parking in the city, everyone came dreadfully late and we couldn't start our banquet until all 17 guests were here but they were really patient. Q also had 3 birthday cakes and they were so accommodating in bringing them out. If I returned, I probably wouldn't do the banquet menu again but just pick the highlight dishes (Bastourma, Dumpling & Baklava) and try some new things.


Taste: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Value for Money: 9/10



Sezar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato







No comments:

Post a Comment