Thursday 7 May 2015

Chez Dre - South Melbourne

On Thursday, S, Mingang and I decided to be baller and go to brunch at Chez Dre. The boys would have a field day because we were basically having $20 eggs but us girls thought we deserved it after a very daunting lecture on the Psychology Honours program. It was bloody freezing but we decided to sit outside anyways. S (basic bitch that she was) ordered the poached eggs on sourdough with baked mushrooms on the side ($14.50) and Mingang got the Brioche French Toast with poached apples & pears, blackberries, salted caramel, vanilla mascarpone & white chocolate crumb ($17.50).

S's Poached Eggs on Sourdough with Baked Mushrooms  

S was too basic to have an opinion. She was mercilessly made fun of for choosing such a simple dish especially when she was practically kicking herself when she saw how amazing the pulled pork burger looked.

Mingang's Brioche French Toast
Mingang said the Brioche satisfied her cravings but the salted caramel made the while dish a touch too sweet.

My Duck Sandwich


I got the Duck Sandwich with confit pulled duck, onion jam, red cabbage, grated apple, truffle mayonnaise and panini ($23.50). I had really high expectations for this dish. My sister had this the first time we went Chez Dre in 2013 and it was amazing in terms of presentation and taste. The confit duck was a big tick as it was very tender. The onion jam had a bitter aftertaste on its own and I'm fairly sure it was burnt. The panini was crisp at the top but slathered with way too much mayo. I couldn't even finish half of my sandwich. All the elements together were far too sweet. The dish would've been slightly better if the cabbage wasn't pickled.

Table Shot!

Overall, my friends enjoyed their meal and I was left feeling like it was just mediocre. I loved Chez Dre the two times I've been there and was so keen to come back and show S and Mingang good brunch. Service was efficient. It started to drizzle and they did everything they could to shift everyone under the big umbrellas. I was considering to buy the caramel eclair but they told me they have stopped making them :( An added bonus were cake samples at the register though, yum!

Service: 7.5/10
Taste: 6.5/10
Presentation: 7/10
Value for Money: 7/10


Chez Dré on Urbanspoon






1 comment:

  1. I love your calling out your friend on public social media as a 'basic bitch' 👌🏽 haha!! The shaming is too much hahaha! So sad about the salted caramel eclair 😭 you need to start #bringbacksce stat!

    ReplyDelete